March 14, 2016
Meeting Minutes February 2016
Location: Peaks & Pines, host: Paul Viera
Next Board Meeting:: February 10, 2016, 1800, Triple S Brewing Company
Next General Meeting: February 15, 2016, 1800, Cogstone Brewery
- Education Segment: Rich will present: Hops Rhizomes: What Works.
1. Peterson Fest
- Need to identify steps necessary to make The Peterson Homebrew Fest be successful.
- After Action Review needed in February after the festival .
- Cogstone Brewery was suggested
- Feedback session with Curtis following the event.
- Pete will lead Peterson AFV Homebrew Contest next year.
- Dave Carpenter will staff a Brew Brother’s Table at the Festival with banner and magazines.
- Nick will meet with Marc Malenfant regarding the Pete Fest Comp
2. El Paso County Fair Homebrew Contest
- Rich Moch will lead the El Paso Homebrew Contest.
- Don Douglas, with Gary’s assistance, will take over Head Steward for El Paso,
3. Problems getting information to Club Members, Judges, Local Businesses:
- MeetUp is not the answer to our communications needs
- We need to use e-mail and phone calls.
4. Grain Buy
- Not enough orders
- Postpone for another month.
- Resolved at Feb, 15 meeting; 40+ orders
- Gary Gagnon and Tom Heath added as At large board members
- Colorado Beer Cup Coalition
- Brian & Safe
- Schedule between El Paso and All Colorado Competitions
- Should we continue using Brew Scene to manage entries in homebrew competitions?
- The brewers have complained that it is difficult to enter their beers in Brew Scene
- Reggie Beer Competition Manager RCBM is an online homebrew competition management software system by Nelson Crowle.
- The Peak to Peak competition is using RCBM, Biere de Rock is using Brew Scene.
- RCBM is easier to handle but there are concerns whether the developer is dependable.
- Nick and John are waiting for an evaluation of RCBM and BS by a local homebrew club to be completed.
- Discussed whether we should have a fund raiser event to raise money to help pay the way for a WWII Pearl Harbor survivor to return to Hawaii for the 70th
February 23, 2016
Thanks to everyone who made the 2016 Peterson AFB Homebrew Fest a success this year!
All the volunteers who put in many hours sorting beers, collecting beers, collecting donations, and organizing the judging, festival, and events deserve a big round of applause! Big thanks to Curtis and the staff at the Peterson AFB Club for hosting this great event year after year as well!
The winners of the Homebrew competition can be found on Brewscene HERE. Click on Awards to see the results. *Editors note: There was consolidation of categories to the NHC standards, and this resulted in most of the homebrew results being pushed down the list from where you might expect them, just keep scrolling
As always, we want to thank our generous sponsors, with special thanks to the following companies who provided some fantastic prizes for our top winners:
Cheers to our sponsors! Click on the images above to check out their sites!
Here’s a few photos from the festival, featuring a few of the talented homebrewers who took home some hardware at the fest:
We also want to take a moment to recognize our own John Landreman who was celebrating 20 years as a National ranked BJCP judge!
October 17, 2015
Our Tech Talk for October centered around a horizontal tasting of 5 varieties of Crystal Malt:
Crystal 10, Crystal 40, Crystal 80, British Crystal (70/80), Crystal 140
Grist will be 3% specialty grain (single crystal variety) with 97% Maris Otter base grain
100g of grain mashed with 250mL of 169*F (76.2*C) (target temp being 154*F(68*C))
Mikayla Mueller talked about the advantages of using Crystal malts, differences between Crystal varieties, why they are good for English style Porters (this month’s Brew Buddy beer).
March 3, 2015
February 19, 2015
February 8, 2015
Please register on the following list if you:
- Judged or Stewarded at the Competition juding events.
- Plan to pour your homebrew at the fest.
You MUST be on this list to obtain access to the base on the evening of February 20th.
Cutoff for registration is February 16th!
November 24, 2014
It is never too early to start preparing your homebrews for the next big competition, and ours is just around the corner.
November 9, 2014
July 1, 2014
El Paso County Fair Homebrew Competition
Welcome to the 3rd annual El Paso County Fair Homebrew Competition! The El Paso County Fair Homebrew competition is an AHA/BJCP sanctioned event.
Entries due: July 13th
Judging: July 19th
Awards after judging at the County Fair
The following Summer beer styles will be accepted referencing the BJCP Style Guidelines:
1 Light Lager
6 Light Hybrid
10 American Ale
15 German Wheat & Rye
16 Belgian and French
20 Fruit Beer
Entries will be accepted from July 1st-13th. Register electronically at http://elpasocountyfair.brewcompetition.com/ Only one beer per BJCP subcategory. The entry fee is $6, please use PayPal to make your payment. For each entry, submit 2 bottles with a bottle ID form attached to each by rubber bands. Bottles should have no labels or other identifying markings aside from the bottle ID form. ID forms can be printed from the registration website once you’ve registered your beer.
Please note that due to the limited amount of styles, we are capping the competition at 100 entries.
Drop your beer off from 8 am-4pm, or ship to the Fairgrounds by July 13th. Drop or Ship to:
Special Events Coordinator
El Paso County Fair and Event Complex
366 10th Street
Calhan, CO 80808
Local Drop-off locations during normal business hours:
Rocky Mountain Brewery
Old West Brewing Supplies
Judging will take place on July 19th at the fairgrounds and will be in accordance with the BJCP guidelines.
Ribbons will be awarded in each category for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places. Also, there will be a best in show award given out. The awards will be presented at the Fair on July 19th along with the score sheets. If you are not present, score sheets will be mailed to you.
Contact Info: Suzan McCoy (719) 520-7882, Rich Mock (719) 332-8896, Pete Skrebetz (719) 291-2188