October 16, 2012
10 October 2012
Monthly General Membership Meeting
- The meeting was called to order at 6:20 PM by FlandersBrew. Approximately forty members attended the meeting which was held at Texas T-Bone on Centennial. Flanders thanked our host and encouraged members to patronize this establishment – good lunch specials and happy hour buffet Monday – Thursday. Everyone likes the new Mullet Style meetings – business up front, party in the back. Several new members were introduced; John and Tony like IPAs; Randy likes Saisons; Jesse likes ESPs and Lagers and Mark likes Belgiums.
- MeetUp will become the main outreach to members. Location of meetings can be found on MeetUp. Spontaneous events such as “meet me for a beer”, etc can be found on MeetUp
- Two stage raffle was explained; we still need members to bring items to be raffled and the “big ticket” often will be a $50 gift certificate or prize valued at $50+.
- Treasury Report: Johnny said current balance is $1342; outlays for raffle items and income from dues. Johnny modeled the new bowling shirts and orders exceeded that necessary to get a discount.
- Bru-Bus. HardlyBrew announced details for the trip to Ft Collins on Nov 17 and encouraged members to buy tickets soon. After a week of sales, if any tickets remain, they will be sold to member wanting to bring guests and/or to the general public. See our website for more details.
- All Colorado Beer Fest (ACBF): Dino solicited participation for judges, stewards and attendees. John “Safe” Haven is the Judge coordinator and Gary “G2” Gagnon is the Steward coordinator. Brew Bros get a $5 discount. Event is Sat, Nov 3 at the Freedom Financial Conference Center on North Nevada. See their web site for more details: http://www.allcoloradobeerfestival.com/Officer Elections.
- The club is growing rapidly and we need help. Contact Flanders if you’re interested in serving in any capacity. He can find a job for you. Nominations are due before the Nov meeting and elections for contested positions will be held at the Nov meeting. Klutes will be the next membership VP and Safe will be the next VP/Secretary.
- Grain Buy and Firkin Queue. Lefty is organizing the next grain buy on MeetUp. He is also the one to talk to if you want to brew in the firkin. Brewers will be expected to plan / organize an event to showcase their efforts.
- Competition Update. Axe won the Cat 6 club comp with his cream ale and will go forward to compete at the national level. The next club comp will be for Burton Old Ales. Entries can be dropped off at Cryptid’s Crib 10/29 to 11/2 and judged on the last day. Brews for the O’Dell brew day will be evaluated at the Nov meeting. Bring beer for 20 to sample, style will be people’s choice, top 5 beers will go to O’Dell’s on the Bru Bus and O’Dell’s brew master will choose the beer to brew on 25 Jan 13. Biere de Rock entries will be accepted between Saturday, November 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM, MST and Saturday, November 24, 2012 at 5:00 PM, MST. with Judging on 8 Dec 12. Entry registration will open Thursday, November 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM, MDT at http://bierederock.com/
- The Peterson AFB homebrew judging will be 8-9 Feb 2013 with the fest on 22 Feb.
- BJCP Training Classes start Wed 17 Oct at 56 Ring and are planned for every two weeks. Contact John Landerman (see meetUp) for more details. Space is limited to only 12 individuals.
- New Business: None
- The next general membership meeting will be Nov 13, location TBD.
- The next executive board meeting will be Nov 6 at the National Space Foundation.
- The meeting was adjourned at 6:50 PM and raffles and sampling began.