Getting Started with Meetup (assembled in Sept. 2012)
Meetup, an online social network, is a hub for information about group events happening in the “real” world. The Brew Brothers of Pikes Peak is leveraging Meetup as the central communication tool about club events. This means you only need one place to go for club information.
- Go to http://www.meetup.com
- In the upper-right corner, click “Sign Up”
- Find the verification email in your Inbox and click the verify link.
- Log in and click “Find a Meetup Group” in the upper left.
- Search for Brew Brothers of Pikes Peak
- Click on the right-hand side of the page. If you do not already have a Meetup profile, you will be prompted to make one.
- It is important to make your profile as complete as possible, including as much information as you are comfortable giving (you may want to look at the Meetup privacy guidelines http://www.meetup.com/privacy/).
- Select an option for receiving group posts via email:
- As they are sent – you will get an email whenever a leader posts to the group.
- In one daily email – you will get an email once a day with all that day’s posts from the group.
- Don’t send me mailing list messages – While this is a viable option, it is suggested that you use one of the previous options if you are interested in keeping current with club updates. With this third option, you will not receive any club notifications and will have to check the Meetup group page manually which could have an impact on your ability to participate in activities that come up between visits.
Tips for the future
- If you don’t like the emails you are getting from Meetup, you can go to “My Profile/Email and Notification Settings” in the upper-right of your logged-in screen. This will allow you to fine tune the emails you receive.
- In the future, each time you log in, you can get a bird’s eye view of your Meetup groups’ activities by clicking and going to the home page.
- The “What’s happening?” area shows you what’s happening in each of your groups.
- You can manage how your feeds work with the button. You can see on the lower right of the page the groups you are a part of and you can customize settings for each individual group by using the cog buttom.
- The “Your Meetup” calendar section in the lower right-hand corner is a very powerful tool because you can see all of your Meetups at a glance.
- You can customize your calendar to show all events or just those which you are Going to or Not Going to. calendars from your Meetup groups. (You will need to know how to do this with your particular calendar software.)
- When you click on a date from the calendar and it will show you all of the events for that day from all of your Meetup groups. You can click on the event to manage your attendance, i.e. RSVP to an event or change your RSVP status. These are still called RSVP when viewing a calendar.
- Make sure you look at the bottom of the page to manage your overall settings for Meetup.
Derived from Denver DataMan, LLC