June 7, 2012
Brew Bros of Pikes Peak (BBoPP) General Membership Meeting Minutes
5 June 2012
Approximately 50 members attended the June meeting held at Cryptid’s Crib. ShoeBrew called the meeting to order at 1845 by thanking the hosts for their hospitality. Plenty of pizza and beer were available.
Treasurer’s report (JohnnyBrew): $1083 as of 1 May; $1206 as of 1 June 2012. Expenditures: County Fair Comp registration $30, Big Brew beer toast $99, Firkin supplies $25, sample bowling shirt $38. Income: $315 membership, shirts and pints.
1. Bowling shirt Update. Johnny modeled the new bowling shirt – sharp black & white, retro style with club name on the back. We need to order 25 to get a group discount of $5. Total cost for shirt with logo and name should be around $40. Please contact Johnny to order. Shoe will follow-up on the challenge to the RockHoppers.
2. Salida Campout. Shoe will organize a ‘people’s choice’ comp on Friday, 13 July, at the campout. Lefty has made a custom travelling trophy. Let Shoe know if you want to compete and bring enough beer for at least thirty people. Comp starts at 1900. Theme is tie die, with mutton chops and kilts. There will be a $20 fee for campers which will cover food (breakfast & sammiches), three port-a-potties and the Bloody Bar. Contact Hardly (Michele Gandy if you plan to attend). Members of the RockHoppers club will be there. Don’t let them win our trophy.
3. County Fair Comp July 21. Limited Summer style (Light Lager, Pils, Light Hybrid, American Ale, GE Wheat & Rye, BE & French, Fruit) comp will be held at the El Paso County Fair in Calhan. Need judges and stewards. Contact Dino if interested. Flyer attached.
4. ‘Pints’ Update: Landy explained the pint system to reward contributions to the club that are above & beyond. He acknowledged pint winners. Bottom line is that Shoe approves all pint awards.
5. IT Update. It’s not too early to start planning our Christmas party. Check out the forum on our website to express interest and provide ideas.
6. Firkin Queue. July (for Salida) – Amanda, Aug – Ator, Sep – Crack. Contact Shoe if you’re interested.
1. Beer Bus Nov 17. Hardly will organize. We will visit four breweries: O’Dell, Coopersmith (food), two new ones (suggestions welcome). O’Dell will judge five beers, the winner to brew on their pilot system.
2. Johnny will host a brew day for the porter club competition at his house on Saturday 16 June. He will also tap the cherry lambic that day.
3. Liquid Poets Awards. Axe and Bama bestowed awards for this recent competition. See attached pix.
Buch: 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze
Lefty: 2 silver
Klutes: 1 silver
Garbett: 1 bronze
Landreman: 3 for 3 medals! Gold and 2 Silvers
Axe: 1 gold, 1 silver
4. KB Kraft Beers will offer buy one pint, get one free to BBoPP members. Just show your BBoPP card.
5. Bulk Buys: Shoe announced new procedures where we’ll be going through local brew shops.
Upcoming Events: Purple Mt Fest, June 30, County Fair Jul 21, Pueblo, Craft lager fest Aug 4, Manitou Springs, Gnarley Barley 4 Aug, Loveland, The Springs Beer Fest, 11 Aug, Colorado Springs, Foam Fest Aug 25 Pueblo.
The meeting adjourned at 1915 and an abundant raffle ensued. The Salida campout will be the July meeting. The next regular meeting is on Tuesday August 7 at 56 Ring. Don’t forget to bring raffle items and label them so we can recognize and reward generous donors.
Peace out, Dino