Brew Brothers of Pike's Peak archive
October 18, 2012
Hey there Brothers, we’ve got a lot coming up…..
If you’re on meetup, you should have already seen most of this. If you aren’t on meetup, shame on you. Get on it!
- It’s going to be rockin’. Get your tickets before they sell out!
- Nov. 17th, more info: http://hops.me/5c7j
- Michele is offering another chance to buy tickets tomorrow (10/17) at 5PM at BJs – more info on meetup: http://www.meetup.com/
- We still need a jockey box coordinator on the bus. Help the club line up taps and beer for the bus. It’s easy, help us out!
- Club elections will be held at the next member meeting (11/13). VOLUNTEER!! If you want to help out, but you don’t know what to do, email me. We’ll find something for you.
- Congrats to Axe for his Cream Ale being picked as the BBoPP AHA Club-only Light Hybrids Entry
- Rocky Mountain Homebrew Club Challenge 2012
- Entries are due tomorrow. You can take them to Old West Homebrew Supply. Get those beers in!
- Rock Bottom Competition Registration
- Deadline Approaching – Need to register at Rock Bottom by Nov. 1. Beers don’t need to be entered until January. Lots of sweet prizes in this one – don’t miss it!
- Odells Competition
- People’s Choice at the November Meeting (11/13)
- Bring 3-4 bombers, 7-8 12ozers, or a growler of your beer to the next meeting. Also bring an addtional 12oz bottle to send to Odells if you win.
- Up to 5 will advance to final round; winner chosen by Odells and gets to brew there Jan 25th
- AHA Club-only
- Burton Old Ales
- Entries due on between 10/29 and 11/2 at Cryptid’s House ( 6793 Summer Grace St.)
- 3 beers due (1 for local judging, 2 for entry into comp which are returned if you don’t win)
- Full recipe sheet and bottle ID forms required
- Bière de Rock competition
- AHA Sanctioned
- Belgain & French Ale Only
- Entry Nov 1 – Nov 24
- Brew Brothers Happy Hour
- Oct 26th, 4PM at Phantom Canyon (upstairs)
- BJCP Exam Tasting Class
- First class, Oct 24th at 56 Ring
- Run by John Landreman
September 18, 2012
General club information
- Meetup. Meetup. Meetup.
Meetup is a new online service we are using to organize our official club roster and all club events. Registration is required as part of our membership. We are planning to do a one-year trial period for evaluation. We will be in a transitional state for the oct. mtg and entirely on meetup by the nov. mtg. Go create an account at meetup.com and join our Brew Brothers of Pikes Peak organization now! For instructions how, see our Meetup Startup Guide.
- Club elections are just around the corner! Do it! (You know you want to.). We will be taking nominations for new board members during the October meeting. Elections will be held during the Nov. meeting.
- We’re on twitter now! Follow the bros : @BrosBrewClub.
- We are looking for eager volunteers to help our board positions as our club grows. Please, please, please consider giving it a try. See the website for a description of positions here : Open Positions.
- Bulk grains buys will now be officially sanctioned by the club. Lefty will be organizing the first one within a month. This will be done through meetup so if want in on the buy, go sign up or meetup.
- Sign up for your bowling shirt now. Talk to Johnny (find him on meetup!) if you want more information.
- The meeting formats have changed! In case you didn’t make the September meeting, we are now trying a new format. Meetings will now be business first, socializing second. Flanders likes to call it “Mullet style,” with the business up front. We will start promptly 15 minutes after the announced start of the meeting. Be there or….miss the important stuff.
- We are offering a new internal beer feedback service. If you would like unbiased feedback on a specific beer bring at least two 12 oz bottles to Cryptid at a meeting. He will distribute them to volunteer judges who will score your beer an give you the results at the next meeting.
- We will be migrating our raffle to including a few big ticket items rather than many donated items. October will still be a transitional meeting where we ask members to bring items in addition to offering at least one big item in a separate raffle.
Upcoming volunteer opportunities
- 11/3 12PM
- All Colorado Beer Fest needs judges and stewards for a commercial beer judging (non-BJCP format). Volunteers get free admission to one session and a t-shirt. Email Gary (find him on meetup!) if you want to steward and Rick (aka Dino, also on meetup) if you want to judge.
Club Only Competition (Category 6 Light Hybrids (Cream Ale, Blonde, Kolsch, American Wheat or Rye)
- The Club-Only Competition (COC) program offers AHA-Registered Homebrew Clubs an opportunity to compete with other AHA-registered homebrew clubs. Each competition concentrates attention on a specific style of beer or mead, giving your club the opportunity to educate club members in these styles by focusing on them at club meetings or tasting events.
- Drop off will be from Mon. 9/24 – Fri. 9/28 at my house, 6793 Summer Grace St. I usually don’t get home until 4 or 5 pm, but there will be a blue cooler on the porch that you can put your entries in. You must bring 3 bottles of your beer: 1 for local judging and 2 for entry to the comp. We’ll return the other 2 if you don’t make it in. You must turn in a recipe sheet and bottle ID forms found here.
- Judging will take place on Saturday 9/29 at my place. If you would like to judge please contact me ASAP! Those of you who don’t want to judge, but would like to observe the process, you can stop by and hang out. Snacks and beer will be provided. This is a good opportunity to learn the judging and stewarding process. ***The next club-only competition will be in November and the category is Burton Old Ale.***
- If you haven’t heard, we have the opportunity to brew on Odell’s 5 Barrel Pilot System. We will hold a people’s choice competition at the November meeting. It is an open category competition, but obviously you don’t want to enter a beer that needs extensive aging (barleywines, sours, etc.) In the spirit of an election year, we will cast votes by ballot. The top 3-5 beers will go forward for ODell’s staff to evaluate and choose the winner. The winner will be announced on the Brew Bus and the brew day is tentatively set at ODells in Jan 2013.
Bière de Rock:
- Rockhoppers of Castle Rock has their Bière de Rock competition coming soon; this is an AHA sanctioned, Belgian and French Ale only competition; entry begins 1 Nov 12 with the event in Dec 12. Please visit their website.
Rocky Mountain Homebrew Challenge:
- This looks like a great competition and a great way for our club to be represented. The homebrew club with the most points wins a traveling trophy. Go to their website and see if this is a competition you would like to participate in by: entering a beer(s); judging; stewarding; volunteering
- This is an AHA/BJCP sanctioned competition and all standard rules apply.
- All participants must be a current member of an AHA homebrew club in 2012.
- One entry allowed per sub-category per brewer.
- Judge and stewards can only sign up under one homebrew club name.
- Individual club members will earn BJCP credit for participation as a judge, steward, or staff member.
- Individual club members will win awards if their entry places in the top three in each BJCP style category.
- The Best Homebrew Club will be determined based on the total points earned in various categories.
Rock Bottom Competition
- Brew Bus
- Tickets will be on sale at the Oct 10 meeting. Brew Bros have priority. Locations TBD. John Landreman AKA Landy (email) will coordinate taps on the bus. If you want to donate a keg to the cause, please contact John.
- All Colorado Beer Fest
- 11/3 – two sessions 1-4:30PM, 6:30-10PM
- 40 breweries, $30 per session
- All Colorado Beer Festival Website
- Zymurgy Institute
- Next class Oct 1 at Bristol Brewery
- Post with more information
- Beers Made By Walking
- Features many Brew Brothers!
- Sept 22, 3-6PM At Pikes Peak Brewery
- Facebook Event Page
- Uncork the Season
- wine/beer fest at the El Paso county Fair Grounds in Calhan
When: November 10th 11-5 PM
Who: Local Vendors Artists, Local Bands, vendors, and wine!
$25 General Admission
- Benefits Eastern Plains Chamber of Commerce community center, the El Paso County, and 4-H Events!
- The Slow Food – Colorado Springs “Pig Roast”
- When: Saturday, October 13th in the early evening
- Where: The old Colorado City Historical Society building.
- What: I don’t have all the details but it will also be our annual Potluck so while the Roast Pig will be the main dish there will also be many Autumn themed side dishes provided by the attendees. The pig will be sourced from a Colorado provider and will be roasted by a local restaurant’s chef.
- How much: from $10 to $15 per person along with any side dish or beverage they might like to provide
- Contact Joe Catalano for more info.