Brew Brothers of Pike's Peak archive
Category: minutes

June 20, 2013

Member Meeting Minutes – June 2013

by flanders
Categories: minutes
Tags: No Tags
Comments: Leave a Comment

Brew Bros of Pikes Peak (BBoPP) General Membership Meeting Minutes

11 June 2013

Approximately 40 members attended the June meeting held at The Brewer’s Republic, the second floor roof was reserved for us. Flanders called the meeting to order at 18:15 by thanking the hosts for their hospitality and reminded all present to buy a beer from the bar and to order food (neighbor facility).


  1. Ned requested a moment of silence and a quick prayer for our BB living in the Black Forest.

  2. Ned reminded all that this is a homebrew club and that members should be bringing homebrew to our meetings. He plans to start a “shame on you campaign” for those who do not bring homebrews and there will be a separate raffle just for those who do bring homebrew.

  3. Ned also reminded all that the raffle is how the club makes its money to support its members and often to buy new items such as the projector screen, projector, digital thermometer, etc. and that recently the raffles have been sparse. He plans to start a “shame on you campaign” for those who do not bring raffle items.

  4. Ned asked if we had any new members:

    1. Ty – 3yrs brewing – favorite changes with the seasons

    2. James – Loves brewing with friends – favorite is Imperial Stouts

    3. Graham – with Josh

  5. Bowling Shirts – go to the BBoPP on-line store and commit

  6. Ned reminded the Iron Brewer Teams that the event is September and they need to start brewing now

  7. Salida is the 12-14 July and replaces the General Membership Meeting.

  8. The August General Membership Meeting is scheduled for Sunday 11 August and will be at someone’s home – let’s hope for good weather.

  9. Membership report: Ned announced that we have 107 paid members and 6/7 honorary members.

  10. Treasurer’s report (LandyBrew): $5137; that $1,200 is earmarked for charity; that $1837 is for the grain buy, so roughly $2,100 is available to support club initiatives, such as buying a laptop computer.

  11. Pints briefing was postponed until after Salida

  12. Comp Updates  briefed by Grez Mizell:

    1. Salina Rendezvous is the weekend of July 13th

      1. Friday night will be a people’s choice comp BBoPP vs Rockhoppers

      2. Put on 3×5 labels, bring plenty of samples

    2. El Paso County Fair – Summer Styles – entry 15-18 July, Judging 20th (1/2/3 BOS)

    3. Arapaho Fair – entries 1 – 15 July, at the Brew Hut, Judging 20 July

    4. Iron Buddy Brewing – people’s choice Sept

  13. Firkin – see the website – Big Bob will have a wee heavy for Salida

  14. The Bulk Buy and Cash Mob were a success; better cash mobs to follow

  15. Events:

    1. Sky Sox game on Tuesday 18 Jun $2 entrance, $2 parking, $2 Coors; all 50 tickets are sold – buy yours at the gate and squeeze in. Tailgate starts at 5PM, bring beer and stuff to grill. Hot dogs and sauerkraut will be sold for 50c, Bring growlers of beer!!

    2. Salida 12 – 14 July. Limited tickets are available on the club Zen Cart – see it for details

    3. Springs Beer Fest: Check the date and location – The BBoPP will be manning a tent beside Rock Bottom and will be explaining the competition process, brewing, etc.

    4. Bristol Ivywild Friday night – new date???

    5. Red Leg Opening in July???

    6. Craft Lager Fest 10 Aug; judge and stewards needed; contact Axe, Safe, Landy

  16. BBoPP online store:

    1. Pledge to buy a bowling shirt $46, poor response so far

    2. Salida tickets (note: 4oz pours at the fest)

  17. Beven ZG presented an information / training session on yeast – Great Job!!

  18. Congrats to Ben – the new assistant brewer at Phantom Canyon

  19. Thanks to Stephen for hosting the brew day

  20. Two raffles were held: one for those that brought homebrew and one for general membership

  21. Ned thanked our hosts again

  22. Meeting was adjourned


June 10, 2013

Member Meeting Minutes – May 2013

by flanders
Categories: minutes
Tags: No Tags
Comments: Leave a Comment

Brew Bros of Pikes Peak (BBoPP) General Membership Meeting Minutes

8 May 2013

Approximately 30 members attended the May meeting held at Hatch Cover, the second floor was reserved for us. Flanders called the meeting to order at 18:05 by thanking the hosts for their hospitality and reminded all present to buy a beer from the bar and to order food.


  1. Ned asked if we had any new members. Troy, new to home brewing, less than 2 years experience. Has brewed 10 batches and he likes Wheat(s), Ales and Belgium(s).

  2. Ned noted that as a result of the annual membership database clean-up, that we have 103 active members.

  3. Ned reminded all that Old West is one of our sponsors, that they provide a discount for member purchases and that they have a new grain room – so stop by and check it out!

  4. Treasurer’s report (LandyBrew): $4700 as of May 5th ; that $1,200 is earmarked for charity; that $1,300 is for the grain buy, so roughly $2,200 is available to support club initiatives, such as buying a laptop computer.

  5. John Landreman made a “Pints” presentation to rockrimmin brew for earning 4 pints

  6. Comp Updates:

    1. Greg S has developed a brew by date calendar

    2. Salina Rendezvous is the weekend of July 13th

      1. Friday night will be a people’s choice comp BBoPP vs Rockhoppers

    3. Iron Buddy Brewing – people’s choice Sept

    4. Eric in Castle Rock 18 May – see Meetup; entries due NLT 5PM on May 16th

    5. Liquid Poets – entries close on May 23rd

    6. Samuel Adams

  7. Judges and stewards are need at the Liquid Poets Slam on June 2nd — see Meet-up.

  8. BBoPP online store:

    1. Last chance for grain buy – we have enough purchases to make it happen

    2. Pledge to buy a bowling shirt $46, NLT May 15th.

    3. $2 Tuesday, June 18th at Sky Sox Stadium. Buy your tickets now. The first block of 25 tickets are sold and we are half way through the second block. $2 entrance, $2 parking, $2 Coors; 5PM to 7PM tailgate party in the parking lot, bring food and beers

  9. Ned commented on the great Big Brew that we had at Pikes Peak Brewing Company and he thanked Lefty for organizing it.  Note* Chris has already invited us back for 2014.

  10. Ned reminded members of club services: BJCP judging for members’ beers and the Brew Buddy program

  11. Big Bob gave a great presentation on the Firkin – or what we have, a Pin. Many questions were asked and he answered them all. His presentation will be posted on the club website

    1. Lefty has the Firkin to fill for Salina

    2. We need volunteers to brew and fill the Firkin after Salina

  12. American Craft Beer Week – May 13-19, 2013 http://www.craftbeer.com/acbw-news/american-craft-beer-week-may-13-19-2013

  13. Next meeting will be … at …


June 10, 2013

Board Meeting Minutes – June 2013

by flanders
Categories: minutes
Tags: No Tags
Comments: Leave a Comment

5 June 2013

Executive Meeting

Hosted at Bristol (Ivywild)

Attending: Ned Brush, John Haven, Rich Mock, Mike Bordick, Mike McGuckin, Michele Gandy, John Landreman, Bryan Paradisi, Lori, (Brian Guest ??), Greg Mizell

Next general meeting (GM) is 11 June, 6PM, at Brewer’s Republic 112 N Nevada, Colorado Springs, CO (719) 633-2105 – we have the rooftop. Parking is on the street, meters until 6PM, or Kiowa Street Parking Garage, 127 East Kiowa Street. Open 24 Hours, 7 days per week, Rates: $ 1.00 after 2:00 p.m.

Brewing Gadgets is the theme for next month’s general membership meeting. Ned has two items (also mentioned Devil’s Backbone – I don’t know what that is); Chiller; Temperature Controller

Brian Mark, Manager of RockBottom asked if the Brew Brothers would run a tent at The Springs Beer Fest, America the Beautiful Park, Colorado Springs; July 20 and talk-up his competition that we judged. This festival is moving from the shade of Antlers Park to America the Beautiful Park, and is a great way to while away a hot summer afternoon. Along with some 50 brewers, past years have had live music, beer trivia contests, a jumping castle, slide, bungee jump and a rock climbing wall. Past years have seen long lines for beer samples, though organizers assure that the new location and expanded brewer lineup will ease such woes. The Board voted to support the tent at the Springs Beer Fest.

John Haven discussed a possible training/experience program for the Club BJCP judges. Many ideas were voiced and he will capture them and send the updated program for review and comment.

The need to encourage more members to bring homebrew to the monthly meetings was discussed.  The incentive of a raffle just for those that brought beer was proposed along with a computer generated random number generator to drive it. No decision was reached – possible subject for discussion at GM.

A discussion to develop a set of rules for Meetup was started. The directive was to develop rules for use and that “the executive board” should have the power to grant exceptions to the rule.  Additionally, there was a recommendation that offenders must buy a round (I assume for the members of the executive committee). The following is a possible set of rules – if the decision they are needed is made:

Only beer focused opportunities or events that will benefit the majority of the club members may be posted on Meet-up. For Example: Opportunity to purchase items at sale prices; meetings (club or brew days, judging opportunities, car pools, etc.); informational – must be beer focused (new homebrew shop), etc.

Approval for other than the above will be made by the Club President and Vice President. If they cannot reach an agreement, then the Treasurer will cast the deciding vote. (Note: Elected board members)

Grain Buy: K&B offered to allow us to buy grain when they purchase their next shipment. It was decided that bulk grain buys must be through our supplier partners; individuals can go the K&B if route

Also, a few bags of grain remain at 56 Ring awaiting pick-up

Cash Mob at 56 Ring. Can we quantify? My recommendation is each person post their purchase amounts on Meetup or something similar. Worse case, one person gets e-mails from all that purchased and adds the numbers. Additionally, it was recommended that we have a “Brew of the Month” and llet Paul know early enough that he stock the Hops and Yeast for that style of brew.

All GM meetings should have a theme.

A proposal was brought up to focus on three major competitions plus Peterson AFB per year.  The State Fair, the Rocky Mountain Homebrew Challenge and 8 Seconds of Foam. Again the possible incentives for entering were discussed: pints, raffle, etc – maybe focus on those that win medals.

Membership report: 107 paying members, 10 new members; 13 not on Meet-up; 5 Honorary

Sky Sox Baseball. Tuesday 18 Jun @ 7:05PM. Tickets almost sold out.  Tailgating: Michele will get there early and will be in charge of food; Beer – we need a volunteer to lead this. Who is going on the field for the 1st pitch? Need to add parking location to meetup. John L had the banner. Grills, Food??

Salida: Tickets limited to 90 total. 70 to BBoPP and 20 to Rock Hoppers. Jenny (Mrs Lefty) will do “fancy coffee / espresso) early. Theme will be Cowboys and Indians. Next year, have T-shirts  made and boost ticket costs to cover.

Rails and Ales – last weekend in Jun.  Plan for this next year.

Need to brainstorm competition participation. Let’s award medals earned at the GM.

El Paso County Fair beer drop off locations?  56 ring?

How do you keep a big club small? Do we have N, E, S, W events (brew days)?

Saturday Education: How often and at what level? Advanced – sours, blending sours? How do you crash a beer? Advanced members do while less experience brewers watch?  Intermediate level where the intermediates do and the advance guide as needed? Need to establish stepping stones; a sponsor leads or guides; what are the topics and read a heads must be available; criteria for success; who brews…

Pints: Two boots were passed around for review and discussion. One was $15 and one was $18. This is without engraving which could raise the price to $30 plus shipping. A pin process (4, 8, 16, 32) was also discussed.  No consensus was reached, but most board members leaned towards a nicer glass and a pin.

Craft Larger Fest Judging either 27 July or 3 Aug; probably need 8 judges, a criteria for selection may need to be made. If so, it will be by ranking.

Peoples Choice Idea. Brew a big batch of wort, various brewers will add hops, yeast of their choice and later the varieties will be judged. The brewery sponsoring will then brew a large batch for distribution.

ACBF: A proposal was made that we ask ACBF to donate $500 directly to Designated Drivers of Colorado Springs on behalf of the BBoPP. Possibly, we want the money donated but that we want books of individual vouches in exchange (get the military discount too). Otherwise, the locations where you can get a ride from are very limited.

Individual Ride Vouchers Now Available!
Individual ride vouchers will allow an individual to use our designated driver service from any location within our service area during normal service hours. Individuals can be at a house, business or non-participating location and qualify for ride service as long as they have a voucher in their possession. Individual vouchers are available in books of 10 for a donation of $100 per book. A discount of 10% is available for the purchase of 5-10 books, 15% discount for 11-15 books, and 20% discount for 16 or more books. Military and public safety officials (fire, police, EMT) receive a 50% discount on all books. Call our office at 719-466-4768 during regular business hours to purchase your ride vouchers today!

Q. Is my sponsorship tax deductible?
A. Yes. We are a Non-Profit so your business can deduct your sponsorship as a charitable donation OR an advertising expense. Not only do you help save lives and careers, you get great advertising AND you get to write it off at the end of the year.

Q. Are you guys for real?
A. Yes, we are for real. We will drive you AND your car home for FREE! We do encourage tips for our drivers, that helps them pay for gas and earn a few honest dollars.

Q. How much should I tip the drivers?
A. We really cannot say. You give what you want, what you feel is fair for the distance they drove you and the time they spent. What we can say is their average tip is $20. If they are taking you a long distance from where they picked you up from, please consider tipping more than the average for their time and fuel. The tips get split between the two drivers and they use their tips to pay for their fuel. Remember, they are not bringing you a burger or delivering a pizza, they are driving you home safely AND your vehicle is parked at your house when you wake up.

Stainless Steel insulated Growlers:

Do we want to get some made / take orders?

http://www.bottless.net/Stainless_Steel_Growlers_s/553.htm



April 10, 2013

Member Meeting Minutes – April 2013

by flanders
Categories: minutes
Tags: No Tags
Comments: Leave a Comment


Brew Brothers of Pikes Peak

General Membership Meeting

April 9, 2013


Location: Great Storm Brewing

Start time: 6:00 pm


  • First off, a big thanks to Great Storm Brewing for hosting us, and to the club for providing Domino’s pizza!


  • Introduction of several new members.


  • Treasurer Report: The current balance is ~$2924.  Recent expenses include the Peterson competition, getting ready for the El Paso County Fair competition, and the recent purchasing of a screen and computer projector for presentations at the meetings.


  • Club Services: Just a reminder, the club offers the following services for its members:


  • BJCP judging

    • Submit 2 bottles of your beer to either Cryptid or Flanders

    • Beer will be judged by a minimum of two judges, and feedback will be given to the brewer

  • Brew Buddy

    • Looking to team up with a more experienced club brewer to get tips and hints on how to brew better beer?  Then sign up for the Brew Buddy program!  The club will pair up experienced brewers with less experienced brewers to get together to brew!  Let Flanders (president@bbopp.org) know if you’re interested in this awesome program!


  • Competition Update:


    • Iron Buddy Brew

      • Internal club competition

      • The club will pair up experienced and less experienced (by time in the club) brewers to create and brew and recipe that incorporates a minimum of two secret ingredients

        • Secret ingredients will be assigned to each brewing pair

      • Brews are due in September

    • Denver International Beer Competition

      • Looking for certified judges this coming weekend (April 13 and 14)

      • More information is posted on MeetUp

    • AHA Club Only Competition

      • Extract

      • Categories 1-23 where 50% or more of the fermentable sugars come from the use of extract

      • NEED INFORMATION ON WHEN ENTRIES ARE DUE LOCALLY

    • Arvada Beer Co Pro-Am

      • Entries are due April 21 – May 4 with judging on May 18

    • Ska Pro-Am

    • El Paso County Fair

      • Limited to 50 entries

      • Summer styles

        • A list will be forthcoming

      • Entries are due July 14th – 18th with judging on July 20th

  • Firkin Update:


  • The firkin will be up for Big Brew, Meadowgrass and Salida

  • Instructions on the use of the firkin will be forthcoming


  • Membership Information:

    • If you haven’t paid your dues and made sure you have a liability form on file, the meeting was the deadline.  Unpaid people will be removed from the roster.

    • If you are paid and current, and need a 2013 Membership Card, get with Flanders


  • Upcoming Events:

    • Big Brew

      • May 4th

      • Will be held at Pikes Peak Brewing

      • Brats and fixings will be provided, but need folks to bring side dishes

        • Get with Michelle if you can bring something

    • Meadowgrass

      • Memorial Day Weekend

      • More information will be posted

  • Pints update:

    • Several people reached Level 1 for the Pints reward program and were recognized at the meeting:

      • Justin

      • Ned

      • Steve

      • Ben

      • Marc

      • Larry

      • Bryan

  • Miscellaneous updates:

    • Don’t get rid of your old brewing magazines!

      • The club will be donating brewing magazines to 56 Ring so that they are there and available for people to peruse

    • Pikes Peak Library District

      • The club has donated $100 to the PPLD to purchase 5 brewing books that will be available for check out

    • Special Award

      • Ned, please fill this in since you have more information on this

    • Support the raffle at the meetings!

      • Purchase raffle tickets, and bring in raffle items

    • Zymurgy Institute

      • The next round of classes will start May 6th

    • Bulk grain buy

      • Another bulk grain buy will be coming up

      • Currently looking at

        • Maris Otter

        • American 2-row

        • Belgian Pilsner

        • Probably others

      • Information will be posted

    • Homebrew Huddle

      • The meeting ended with a presentation on barrel aging beers presented by Mike from Phantom Canyon, and some great samples of barrel aged beers!


April 3, 2013

Member Meeting Minutes – March 2013

by flanders
Categories: minutes
Tags: No Tags
Comments: Leave a Comment

Brew Bros of Pikes Peak (BBoPP) General Membership Meeting Minutes

16 March 2013

Approximately 50 members attended the March meeting held at 56 Ring. SafeBrew called the meeting to order at 1530 by thanking the hosts for their hospitality. Plenty of chili and beer were available.

Treasurer’s report (LandyBrew): $3300 as of 16 March; $ as of the last meeting. Expenditures: … Income: $….

  1. Safe explained the silent auction which will buy brewing books to be managed by Pikes Peak Library District (PPLD).  See below.

  2. Hardly explained the Chili Fest.  There were about 12 pots of chili of varying heat and ingredients.

  3. Two new members introduced themselves.

  4. Members were reminded to sign attendance form – Big Bob took charge and reminded people to pay dues and/or sign liability waivers.

  5. Todd Baldwin, the president and CEO of Red Leg Brewing Company, described his operation and answered questions from aspiring microbrewery owners.  His 30 bbl brewery is near Trinity and plans to open in April.

  6. Safe reminded members of club services: BJCP judging for members’ beers and the Brew Buddy program

  7. Dino discussed the home brewing library initiative.  PPLD will manage books and material bought by BBoPP.  Jammin’Brew donated a book to the cause.

  8. Competition Update

    1. PeteFest winners are posted on our website.  Safe read the names and styles of all first place winners of PAFB and our winner at DredHop. Safe and G2 were recognized for their support of the PAFB event.

    2. Peak to Peak competition 23 March in Frederick, CO.  Judges needed.  Contact Safe.

  9. 23 March 4PM tapping at Brewers Republic, 112 North Nevada Ave, of Justin’s King Albert Belgium Dark (10.2%) beer that was brewed at O’Dells on their 5 barrel system

  10. Big Brew for National Homebrew Day – Saturday, May 4; Lefty said it is at Pikes Peak again

  11. Colorado Beer Week – March 18 – 24  check out our website for events

  12. Hardly motioned for a gift for our president’s new baby which received unanimous approval

  13. Axe provided a very informative pitch on his award winning cream ales.  His presentation is on YouTube, slides on our website.

  14. Next meeting will be … at …


Peace out, Dino


April 3, 2013

Board Meeting Minutes – March 2013

by flanders
Categories: minutes
Tags: No Tags
Comments: Leave a Comment

BBoPP Executive Meeting

5 March 2013

Rock Bottom

  • Members in attendance were:   **Name** means the task is your – need not be present to win!!

    • Lefty, Safe, Dino, Flanders, Hardly Brew; Landy; Axe; Klute

  • John Haven gave a detailed de-briefing of the PAFB event

    • Invoice has been submitted to The Club

    • Final report has been submitted to AHA

      • Dino verified he has received points for judging the event

  • There was a consensus agreement to offer At-Large board positions to:


  1. Bob Gray (Big Bob)

  2. Steven Shelton (Sting Brew, formerly Sling Brew)

    1. Consider adding:

      1. Marc Malenfant

      2. Greg Mizell


  • Some of the remaining SWAG will be auctioned off in a silent auction at the next general membership meeting (proceeds to buy Brewing related books for the Pikes Peak Library District [PPLD]) and the remainder will be added to the next raffle ** Safe**

  • Do you have old brewing or beer related magazines you want to get rid of? If so, bring them to our general membership meetings. We will bind them into yearly issues and plan to make them available thru PPLD.**Safe**, **Lefty**, **Dino** Need Donations

  • Efforts to build up the brewing industry in the Southern Colorado area: Look for volunteers to become BBoPP liaisons to local business, especially our sponsors. Lefty has volunteered to work with Paul at 56 Ring; recommend yeasts and grains to stock; establish as a low cost CO2 distributor; potential Big Brew South, etc.; others are needed to advise Woody at High Country; Old West; Rock Bottom; etc.**Need Volunteers**

  • Club Resources: The goal is to store and issue from a commercial location such as 56 Ring. We also need to define usage rules and costs, for example use the jockey box and 20 pound CO2 tank costs $5 per use because the CO2 is an expendable and needs to be refilled as a cost to the club. No fee for non-expendables**Lefty**

  • Firkin fill – needs to be scheduled and the results needs to be shared at a party for the BBs. **Big Bob**

  • Do we want to make a current picture a requirement on Meet-up? TABLED **Flanders**

  • Meetings accountability and name tags: **Flanders**

    • We need a sign-in roster to track attendance statistics

    • We need permanent officer name tags

    • We need to purchase “disposable” name tag holders

    • We would like to be able to print name tags with the BBoPP logo on them

  • E-mail accounts: **Flanders**

    • Organizational accounts such as BBoPP President, Competition Coordinator, etc. coming soon

    • Need to replace the old club contact (registered with AHA) with a new contact address. Axe is currently monitoring BrewBros.com and this role needs to be assigned with the new address

  • Membership: **Flanders**

    • We have 105 members signed-upon Meet-up and 25 not signed-up on Meet-up

    • We have 56 paid members and 37 who have not paid their annual dues

      • A reminder e-mail to pay  dues and to sign the liability waiver was sent to the 37 members

  • Laptop purchase / donation:

    • The need to add a laptop computer to our equipment/office supply was discussed and was TABLED **Safe**, **Flanders**, **Big Bob**

      • Check with Big Bob to see if we can get an inexpensive used laptop **Safe**

      • Axe to use his Chrome Book on Saturday when he presents Cream Ales (evaluate capabilities) **Axe**

  • Google Docs: **Flanders**

    • You can upload Windows based docs and convert to Google Chrome for presentation

    • Need to make repository available

    • Need to allow others to upload

    • Need a training / overview presented to membership

  • Meet-up**Flanders**

    • Need a training / overview presented to membership

    • Need feedback from members

    • Problem – will do single member, but not family membership

  • Point People:

    • **Hardly Brew** is lead for events like (Salida, Brew Bus, etc.)

    • Need a lead for events like Big Brew, website uploads, etc. .**Need Volunteers**

    • Greg Mizell & Lou have been entering upcoming events into Meet-up for others to see

      • List of upcoming competitions

      • Google can send an automatic reminder to all of cut-off dates

    • Cryptid is Competition Coordinator

  • Planned replacements for 2013 – 2015: .**Need Volunteers**

    • Ator would like to step down as IT lead – need a replacement

    • Marc Malenfant to replace Dino as El Paso Fair coordinator

    • Safe to lead PAFB for 2014, need a 2015 replacement

    • Add Big Bob and Sting Brew as At-Large Members

    • Officers for 2013 election

    • Need to groom replacements

      • Greg Mizell

      • Gary Gagnon

      • Pat Duby

      • Other interested new members

  • Pay Pal working fine, but requires monitoring; also 3% surcharge, so plan on this expense

    • Consider using as a means to pay for 2014 PAFB competition **Safe**

  • Consider using Zen Cart for the next grain buy **Lefty**

  • Consider change the club name to Home Brewers of Pikes Peak vs Brew Brothers of Pikes Peak **Flanders**

  • Need to register our next testing date – December 2014 is next available **Safe**, **Axe**

    • Need to engage the Pueblo brewers (no judges in Pueblo)

    • Woodland Parks Clubs?

    • Does Pueblo have a homebrew shop?

  • General membership meeting and mini-chili completion – may reschedule due to weather; decision time is @ 10AM Saturday **Flanders**

  • Upcoming club events TABLED ( time was running out) **Flanders**

    • Big Brew, need a POC and location(s)

      • Pikes Peak; 56 Ring; Woody’s shop; multiple locations?

  • Buddy Brewers due in September **Flanders**

  • Possible equipment purchase:

    • Laptop

    • Portable 1 barrel homebrew system with pump

    • Wood barrel

  • 501 c 3 status:**Sid**, **Flanders**SAFE**

    • Need to go for the c3 status vs c7 status:

      • Based upon training provided by the club & community support

        • Support:

          • Purchased projector; printer; screen; laptop?

          • Monthly presentations to membership

          • BJCP judge training & testing

          • Revamped website to have a training section w/links

          • Guest speakers at general membership meetings

          • Support to ACBF (fellow 501 c 3) to help then increase charitable donations

          • El Paso County fair – educate the community

          • Big Brew days – educate the community

          • Support to PAFB event and future BB table —  educate the community

          • Support to beer walking around program – education the community

          • Support to establish Brewing section at the Pikes Peak Library District

          • Brew days at various homes to teach others/improve brewing techniques

          • BB support by providing Judges and stewards to other CO events

          • Etc…

  • Pints: Award must be sustainable, attainable and the memento needs to be lasting, unique and publically presented **Landy**

    • 4 to earn first glass

    • 8 pint award (max $20) TABLED

    • 12 pint award (??) TABLED

      • Possible 12 pint mementos:

        • Beer Boot

        • Ceramic Growler

        • Engraved stemmed snifter glass

    • Points are earned by an individual, and are not combined as in a family membership

    • Consensus – move out – spend the money on the deserving members; bring recommendations to next meeting

  • Recognize Marlene **Flanders**

  • Desire for Cicerone training / presentation at one of our membership meetings**Dino**

    • https://cicerone.org/content/certified-beer-server

    • Certified Beer Server; this is the first level of certification in the Cicerone program.

    • Prerequisites – None

    • Exam Format & Components – 60-question multiple choice exam, administered online. A grade of 75% is required to pass. Candidates must also pass a short quiz about the Cicerone program. Each payment allows you 2 attempts to achieve a passing score.

    • Exam Cost – $69

    • Initiating an Exam – Become a registered user on this site and then access the exam from your “My Account” page.

    • Knowledge Area Responsibilities – The Certified Beer Server requires competent knowledge of beer storage and service issues as well as modest knowledge of beer styles and culture and basic familiarity with beer tasting and flavors and basic knowledge about brewing process and ingredients. Knowledge of the Cicerone Certification Program’s levels and titles is also required. The Certified Beer Server Syllabus outlines the knowledge required for this Exam. To access the Certified Beer Server Syllabus, click below: https://cicerone.org/sites/default/files/Certified%20Beer%20Server%20Syllabus%20v1-2.pdf

  • The BBoPP Website needs a face lift. TABLED *Safe**, **Flanders**

    • Need a volunteer lead

      • Robert Dunn has agreed to help us with a focus on our social media.

        • He is waiting for us to provide direction and ask him to assist

      • Limitations on hosting platform – what are they?? **Ator**, **Flanders**

        • Cost vs benefits

        • Alternative locations?

    • Will draft out “look, feel & content” **Safe**, Flanders**

      • Automate functions of PAFB

      • Training

      • Links

      • Etc.

    • Monthly News Letter will be homed on the web site

Needs someone to write it .**Need Volunteers**


March 16, 2013

Member Meeting Minutes – March 2013

by flanders
Categories: minutes
Tags: No Tags
Comments: Leave a Comment

Brew Bros of Pikes Peak (BBoPP) General Membership Meeting Minutes

16 March 2013

Approximately 50 members attended the March meeting held at 56 Ring. SafeBrew called the meeting to order at 1530 by thanking the hosts for their hospitality. Plenty of chili and beer were available.

Treasurer’s report (LandyBrew): $3300 as of 16 March; $ as of the last meeting. Expenditures: … Income: $….


  1. Safe explained the silent auction which will buy brewing books to be managed by Pikes Peak Library District (PPLD).  See below.

  2. Hardly explained the Chili Fest.  There were about 12 pots of chili of varying heat and ingredients.

  3. Two new members introduced themselves.

  4. Members were reminded to sign attendance form – Big Bob took charge and reminded people to pay dues and/or sign liability waivers.

  5. Todd Baldwin, the president and CEO of Red Leg Brewing Company, described his operation and answered questions from aspiring microbrewery owners.  His 30 bbl brewery is near Trinity and plans to open in April.

  6. Safe reminded members of club services: BJCP judging for members’ beers and the Brew Buddy program

  7. Dino discussed the homebrewing library initiative.  PPLD will manage books and material bought by BBoPP.  Jammin’Brew donated a book to the cause.

  8. Competition Update

    1. PeteFest winners are posted on our website.  Safe and G2 were recognized for their support of this event.

    2. Peak to Peak competition 23 March in Frederick, CO.  Judges needed.  Contact Safe.

  9. 23 March 4PM tapping WHERE? of Justin’s beer that was brewed at O’Dells

  10. Big Brew for National Homebrew Day – Saturday, May 4; Lefty said it is at Pikes Peak again

  11. Colorado Beer Week – March 18 – 24  check out our website for events

  12. Hardly motioned for a gift for our president’s new baby which received unanimous approval

  13. Axe provided a very informative pitch on his award winning cream ales.  His presentation is on YouTube, slides on our website.

  14. Next meeting will be … at …


Peace out, Dino


March 5, 2013

Board Meeting Minutes – March 2013

by flanders
Categories: minutes
Tags: No Tags
Comments: Leave a Comment

BBoPP Executive Meeting

5 March 2013

Rock Bottom


  • Members in attendance were:   **Name** means the task is your – need not be present to win!!

    • Lefty, Safe, Dino, Flanders, Hardly Brew; Landy; Axe; Klute

  • John Haven gave a detailed de-briefing of the PAFB event

    • Invoice has been submitted to The Club

    • Final report has been submitted to AHA

      • Dino verified he has received points for judging the event

  • There was a consensus agreement to offer At-Large board positions to:

  1. Bob Gray (Big Bob)

  2. Steven Shelton (Sting Brew, formerly Sling Brew)

    1. Consider adding:

      1. Marc Malenfant

      2. Greg Mizell

  • Some of the remaining SWAG will be auctioned off in a silent auction at the next general membership meeting (proceeds to buy Brewing related books for the Pikes Peak Library District [PPLD]) and the remainder will be added to the next raffle ** Safe**

  • Do you have old brewing or beer related magazines you want to get rid of? If so, bring them to our general membership meetings. We will bind them into yearly issues and plan to make them available thru PPLD.**Safe**, **Lefty**, **Dino** Need Donations

  • Efforts to build up the brewing industry in the Southern Colorado area: Look for volunteers to become BBoPP liaisons to local business, especially our sponsors. Lefty has volunteered to work with Paul at 56 Ring; recommend yeasts and grains to stock; establish as a low cost CO2 distributor; potential Big Brew South, etc.; others are needed to advise Woody at High Country; Old West; Rock Bottom; etc.**Need Volunteers**

  • Club Resources: The goal is to store and issue from a commercial location such as 56 Ring. We also need to define usage rules and costs, for example use the jockey box and 20 pound CO2 tank costs $5 per use because the CO2 is an expendable and needs to be refilled as a cost to the club. No fee for non-expendables**Lefty**

  • Firkin fill – needs to be scheduled and the results needs to be shared at a party for the BBs. **Big Bob**

  • Do we want to make a current picture a requirement on Meet-up? TABLED **Flanders**

  • Meetings accountability and name tags: **Flanders**

    • We need a sign-in roster to track attendance statistics

    • We need permanent officer name tags

    • We need to purchase “disposable” name tag holders

    • We would like to be able to print name tags with the BBoPP logo on them

  • E-mail accounts: **Flanders**

    • Organizational accounts such as BBoPP President, Competition Coordinator, etc. coming soon

    • Need to replace the old club contact (registered with AHA) with a new contact address. Axe is currently monitoring BrewBros.com and this role needs to be assigned with the new address

  • Membership: **Flanders**

    • We have 105 members signed-upon Meet-up and 25 not signed-up on Meet-up

    • We have 56 paid members and 37 who have not paid their annual dues

      • A reminder e-mail to pay  dues and to sign the liability waiver was sent to the 37 members

  • Laptop purchase / donation:

    • The need to add a laptop computer to our equipment/office supply was discussed and was TABLED **Safe**, **Flanders**, **Big Bob**

      • Check with Big Bob to see if we can get an inexpensive used laptop **Safe**

      • Axe to use his Chrome Book on Saturday when he presents Cream Ales (evaluate capabilities) **Axe**

  • Google Docs: **Flanders**

    • You can upload Windows based docs and convert to Google Chrome for presentation

    • Need to make repository available

    • Need to allow others to upload

    • Need a training / overview presented to membership

  • Meet-up**Flanders**

    • Need a training / overview presented to membership

    • Need feedback from members

    • Problem – will do single member, but not family membership

  • Point People:

    • **Hardly Brew** is lead for events like (Salida, Brew Bus, etc.)

    • Need a lead for events like Big Brew, website uploads, etc. .**Need Volunteers**

    • Greg Mizell & Lou have been entering upcoming events into Meet-up for others to see

      • List of upcoming competitions

      • Google can send an automatic reminder to all of cut-off dates

    • Cryptid is Competition Coordinator

  • Planned replacements for 2013 – 2015: .**Need Volunteers**

    • Ator would like to step down as IT lead – need a replacement

    • Marc Malenfant to replace Dino as El Paso Fair coordinator

    • Safe to lead PAFB for 2014, need a 2015 replacement

    • Add Big Bob and Sting Brew as At-Large Members

    • Officers for 2013 election

    • Need to groom replacements

      • Greg Mizell

      • Gary Gagnon

      • Pat Duby

      • Other interested new members

  • Pay Pal working fine, but requires monitoring; also 3% surcharge, so plan on this expense

    • Consider using as a means to pay for 2014 PAFB competition **Safe**

  • Consider using Zen Cart for the next grain buy **Lefty**

  • Consider change the club name to Home Brewers of Pikes Peak vs Brew Brothers of Pikes Peak **Flanders**

  • Need to register our next testing date – December 2014 is next available **Safe**, **Axe**

    • Need to engage the Pueblo brewers (no judges in Pueblo)

    • Woodland Parks Clubs?

    • Does Pueblo have a homebrew shop?

  • General membership meeting and mini-chili completion – may reschedule due to weather; decision time is @ 10AM Saturday **Flanders**

  • Upcoming club events TABLED ( time was running out) **Flanders**

    • Big Brew, need a POC and location(s)

      • Pikes Peak; 56 Ring; Woody’s shop; multiple locations?

  • Buddy Brewers due in September **Flanders**

  • Possible equipment purchase:

    • Laptop

    • Portable 1 barrel homebrew system with pump

    • Wood barrel

  • 501 c 3 status:**Sid**, **Flanders**SAFE**

    • Need to go for the c3 status vs c7 status:

      • Based upon training provided by the club & community support

        • Support:

          • Purchased projector; printer; screen; laptop?

          • Monthly presentations to membership

          • BJCP judge training & testing

          • Revamped website to have a training section w/links

          • Guest speakers at general membership meetings

          • Support to ACBF (fellow 501 c 3) to help then increase charitable donations

          • El Paso County fair – educate the community

          • Big Brew days – educate the community

          • Support to PAFB event and future BB table —  educate the community

          • Support to beer walking around program – education the community

          • Support to establish Brewing section at the Pikes Peak Library District

          • Brew days at various homes to teach others/improve brewing techniques

          • BB support by providing Judges and stewards to other CO events

          • Etc…

  • Pints: Award must be sustainable, attainable and the memento needs to be lasting, unique and publically presented **Landy**

    • 4 to earn first glass

    • 8 pint award (max $20) TABLED

    • 12 pint award (??) TABLED

      • Possible 12 pint mementos:

        • Beer Boot

        • Ceramic Growler

        • Engraved stemmed snifter glass

    • Points are earned by an individual, and are not combined as in a family membership

    • Consensus – move out – spend the money on the deserving members; bring recommendations to next meeting

  • Recognize Marlene **Flanders**

  • Desire for Cicerone training / presentation at one of our membership meetings**Dino**

    • https://cicerone.org/content/certified-beer-server

    • Certified Beer Server; this is the first level of certification in the Cicerone program.

    • Prerequisites – None

    • Exam Format & Components – 60-question multiple choice exam, administered online. A grade of 75% is required to pass. Candidates must also pass a short quiz about the Cicerone program. Each payment allows you 2 attempts to achieve a passing score.

    • Exam Cost – $69

    • Initiating an Exam – Become a registered user on this site and then access the exam from your “My Account” page.

    • Knowledge Area Responsibilities – The Certified Beer Server requires competent knowledge of beer storage and service issues as well as modest knowledge of beer styles and culture and basic familiarity with beer tasting and flavors and basic knowledge about brewing process and ingredients. Knowledge of the Cicerone Certification Program’s levels and titles is also required. The Certified Beer Server Syllabus outlines the knowledge required for this Exam. To access the Certified Beer Server Syllabus, click below: https://cicerone.org/sites/default/files/Certified%20Beer%20Server%20Syllabus%20v1-2.pdf

  • The BBoPP Website needs a face lift. TABLED *Safe**, **Flanders**

    • Need a volunteer lead

      • Robert Dunn has agreed to help us with a focus on our social media.

        • He is waiting for us to provide direction and ask him to assist

      • Limitations on hosting platform – what are they?? **Ator**, **Flanders**

        • Cost vs benefits

        • Alternative locations?

    • Will draft out “look, feel & content” **Safe**, Flanders**

      • Automate functions of PAFB

      • Training

      • Links

      • Etc.

    • Monthly News Letter will be homed on the web site

      • Needs someone to write it .**Need Volunteers**


February 18, 2013

Member Meeting Minutes – February 2013

by flanders
Categories: minutes
Tags: No Tags
Comments: Leave a Comment

Brew Brothers of Pikes Peak

General Member Meeting

Feb. 5th, 2013


Location: Pikes Peak Brewery, the Barrel Room
Start Time: 6:20pm
Attendance: Approx. 35 members in attendance
(Flanders forgot to nominate a note taker, so this is a memory recap)

  • Started with thanks to PPBC
  • Welcomed new members
  • Housekeeping
    • Talked about donate-a-book program with PPLD
    • Ask members to fill out liability waivers
  • Eric Seufert introduced his homebrew shop he is opening in Castle Rock
  • Treasurer’s Report – Landy
    • $700 for Brew Bus
    • $500 from ACBF
    • More money coming in from membership dues
  • Pint Program
    • Talked about activities to earn Pints
    • Gave out snifter glass awards, most awardees weren’t in attendance
  • Competition update
    • Winners from Big Beers acknowledged
    • Judges needed for Rock Bottom comp (Feb. 16th)
    • Dredhop registration ends on Feb. 15th
    • Club-only comp barleywines coming up, need judges (also on Feb. 16th)
    • club-only upcoming – extract beers (>50% “consumables” comes from extract)
    • Odell brew day recap – lots of fun.  Odell treated them well.
  • “Homebrew Huddle” – Brew-In-A-Bag, presented by Dr. Ken Andrews from Bristol Brewing Co.
    • Brand new projector didn’t work, but Ken did an awesome job without it.  Lots of useful information.

February 5, 2013

Board Meeting Minutes – February 2013

by flanders
Categories: minutes
Tags: No Tags
Comments: Leave a Comment

Meeting Minutes

BBoPP Executive Council

29 January 2013

The meeting was held at Pipes Peak in Monument from 6:00PM – 8:00PM
Attending were:

Ned Brush (Flanders) John Haven (Safe) Rich Mock (Dino)
Stephen Shelton (Ator) John Landreman (Landy) John Garbett (Johhny Brew)
Michele Gandy (Hardly Brew) Mike McGuckian(Lefty)


A discussion was started by Ned in reference to roles for Stephen and that all tasks are not necessarily IT. For example, the need to develop an architecture for files, where to post them, the formation of club e-mails (president, VP, Comp Coord), etc, are not solely the responsibility of IT.

(We need to break tasks into achievable pieces and solicit member to volunteer)

discussion was started in reference to the Pikes Peak Library District establishing/expanding a section for home brewers.  Rich Mock has action to pursue.

A discussion was started in reference to charities and that we would rather donate time vs money. Additional points: we still have $700 for the Nick foundation and $500 for other charities. We need to gather nominations and select a charity for 2013.

A discussion was started in reference to member liability. The consensus of the committee was that all members of the BBoPP must sign a liability waiver each year as part of the renewal process. We currently have approximately 110 members and 43 have not signed the liability waiver.

Only 21 members have renewed via Pay Pal. The price is $21 an individuals and $27 for a family.

Michelle and Lefty are going to pick-up the PAFB entries from the various drop-off locations. Michelle will do Arvada, Boulder and Ft Collins; Lefty will do Aurora, Monument and Colorado Springs. The board voted a $50 allowance to each for gas and food.

A discussion was started in reference to Blast-outs by Ned. The committee agreed that they should be of either a single topic or similar items. Blasts should be for PAFB entry reminders, PAFB Judges needed, etc.

A review of PAFB 2012 was initiated:

  1. A big issue that surfaced was the confusion at the visitor’s center. It was recommended that we post a sign denoting this is the pick-up/drop-off location, time a vehicle is expected to stop there and a POC phone number to call (remember cells coverage is poor).
  2. Designated Drivers – The Club and BBoPP (Need a lead here)
  3. Carpool coordination for the BBoPP (Need a lead here – maybe just Match-up)
  4. Billeting – awaiting for Curtis to provide the answer – (I’ll ask Axe to follow-up)
  5. Maps to The Club (John to get and provide to Stephen who will post on the website)
  6. Pints to those who put in the effort
  7. What do we do with the 1,000 or so empty bottles? Give them to club members who work the event and then to anyone who wants bottles? Make case of bottles a raffle prize?
  8. Sorting plan to “finalized” by John and Gary Garman on 31 Jan. Need to shoot for Monday 4 Feb and NLT  6 Feb
  9. Need to remind Curtis that beers need to be refrigerated as soon as he receives them
  10. Need a volunteer to fill the firkin – any 5 gallons will do
  11. Johnny G has many dots – we need to get them and use them as identifiers of payments not received. The dot comes off and your entry makes the competition
  12. A discussion was started in reference to giving Geoff a $50 incentive to update his software and add features we need for PAFB
  13.  A discussion was started in reference to going back to all BBoPP entries are free – or stick to the honor system and brewers include cash or check with their entries after the 3 free entries. A decision must be made today and an e-mail blast announcing any change be sent to only BBoPP
  14. Curtis has approximately 60 medals – we need to make the categories fall under his number
  15. A discussion was started in reference to any entry scoring below 30 does not qualify for a medal.  The competition coordinator will make that call (after discussions with axe and Johhny)
  16. A list of expectations needs to be given to Curtis:
    1. Beer and Pizza at the sorting
    2. Donuts / bagels the morning of the 9th
    3. Swag for judges and stewards
    4. $$ to BBoPP for each entry
    5. DD s and vans for judging and the fest
    6. What else??

A discussion was started in reference to renewing Meet-up. Although not ideal, it is adequate and the motion to renew was approved.

A discussion was started in reference to purchasing a projector and screen. A motion was passed approving the purchase of the items researched and recommended by Ned.

A discussion was started in reference to charities and it was confirmed that the $700 for Nick and the $500 received from the ACBF are separate and need to be dispersed separately.

A discussion was started in reference to supporting the possible Octoberfest sponsored by Quest at the stadium on Barnes. A motion was approved to open discussion and Rich Mock has the lead.

A discussion was started in reference to moving forward to obtain 501 C3 status.  A motion was approved to ask Sidney to proceed even though initial expense to file federally is $400.

A discussion was started in reference to the need for back-ups to key positions and that attendance at these meetings is expected and required. For example PAFB competition is within 2 weeks and Justin, Greg and Steve couldn’t make the meeting (weather may have been an issue) ;their support is needed.

A discussion was started in reference to the completion at Rock Bottom:

  1. There are 19 styles listed
  2. 10 BBoPP members have entries
  3. There is a meeting scheduled for Tuesday – the consensus was move it until after PAFB judging
  4. How are the BBoPP going to judge this event?
  5. Judging should be after the 22th – there are only 28 entries – less than 10 judges are needed
  6. Ned to get with Rock Bottom and explain / discuss

The Brew Hut completion is 10 Feb and is impacting our judge pool. We may have more conflicts next year and need to work to de-conflict early

The 24th Annual Reggale and DredHop Homebrew Competition is 23 Feb – Registration is open until they reach 420 entries and will be accepted till 10:00 am Feb. 15, 2013

A discussion was started in reference to the Colorado Brewers Guild. The committee consensus is that our relationship with Bristol has weakened a bit and that we need to rejuvenate it – so yes, we want to do an event with them. (We need a lead here)

A discussion was started in reference to the 3rd week of March being Colorado Brewers Guild Craft Beer week.  More info/research needed here.

A discussion was started in reference to hosting the Annual Brew Day in May. The committee consensus was to support the event. (We need a lead here)

A discussion was started in reference to holding our March meeting at 56th Ring and making it a Chili pot luck event (with many diverse types).  We discussed if it should also be a chili completion and the committee consensus was for no competition.

The next BBoPP general membership meeting is scheduled for 5 Feb at Pikes Peak. Support our sponsors, buy their beer and food.

A discussion was started in reference to having a “Hang-out” meeting on Saturday 9 March. All would bring food and beer and a fun time would be had by all. The event would also be open to family members – kids too. (We need a lead here)

John Landreman showed the new “pints” glass to be awarded to those with 4 or more points (he will address the few who have more than 4 points at a later time). He is ordering 36 glasses to cover current needs.

A discussion was started in reference to expanding our website. Ned mentioned that the Maltose Falcons web site is a great example http://www.maltosefalcons.com/ and Johnny mentioned that they are the oldest home brewing club. The committee consensus was that we are arelatively new club and are making many good improvements, but we need more support from our members. We need to break our goals into bit size pieces that individuals can accomplish as their contribution to the club.