Brew Brothers of Pike's Peak archive
Category: event recaps
July 21, 2017
We wrapped up the sixth annual El Paso County Fair Homebrew Competition Saturday with an awards ceremony on the fairgrounds in Calhan, which included a special appearance from County Commissioner Stan VanderWerf, who spoke briefly about his efforts to establish a brewing school in Colorado Springs.
This year, we expanded the competition to include California Commons, sessionable British beers like bitters, and some summery historical styles like gose. All 86 entries were judged to the 2015 BJCP style guidelines on July 11 at WineCrafters Homebrew Supply. More than 25 volunteers, most of them Brew Brothers members, donated their time to help make the competition a success — thank you!
Nearly a quarter of this year’s homebrew entries were submitted by Brew Brothers members, and members won a third of the awards! Thanks to everyone who entered, and congratulations to all the winners, including our own John Landreman, Don Douglas and Gary Gagnon! Here’s a full list of the winning beers and brewers:
Lagers and Pilsners
- Michael Bradford – Ostinato (Munich Helles)
- Joshua Boldt – Malty Sanchez (Vienna Lager)
- Andrew Mclean – (American Lager)
- Gary Gagnon – Kolsch For The Masses (Kolsch)
- Trevor Lovato – Waimea Cali Common (California Common)
- Ken Williams – Shield Maiden (Blonde Ale)
Wheat & Rye Beers
- John Landreman – (Weissbier)
- Joshua Bowen – Summer Weiss (Weissbier)
- Gary Gagnon – Dunkel My Pony (Dunkels Weissbier)
- Connor Kelly – Orono Saison (Saison)
- John Landreman – Franco-Belgian Saison (Saison)
- Mark Pennick – (Belgian Pale Ale)
- John Landreman – Willamette ESB (Strong Bitter)
- Don Douglas – Golden Crown (English Golden Ale)
- Don Douglas – Archibald The Grim (Scottish Light)
- Jacob Lindholm – The “Originals” Pale Ale (American Pale Ale)
- Yuri Sanchez – SUBURBIA ( American IPA)
- Will Trail – Return Of Space MONKey (Belgian IPA)
- Jacob Lindholm – Jake’s Vanilla Porter (Spice, Herb or Vegetable Beer)
- Mark Pennick – Tremendous Wall Green Chili Agave Wheat (Spice, Herb or Vegetable Beer)
- Nicholas Berlingieri – Mallory Square Summer Ale (Fruit Beer)
March 3, 2015
January 22, 2013
Here is an overdue recap from the January meeting. I’ll keep it short, and if you want more details check out our minutes here: http://brewbrosco.com/
First off – Peterson Homebrew Competition & Festival
Registration is open! Go get your beers entered. WE NEED VOLUNTEERS. Contact John “Safe” Haven (cc’d & on meetup) if you want to volunteer to judge. Contact Gary “G2” Gagnon (cc’d & on meetup) if you want to steward. Brew Bros get 3 free entries with a code. Send an email to Safe to request the code. Go here for more info: http://brewbrosco.com/
Next up, memberships!
It’s time to renew your BBoPP membership. (The slight increase in cost is to cover paypal fees and make handling of dues much easier.) You don’t need a paypal account. Click the appropriate button and make your payment. Do it now before your membership lapses! (If the “Pay Now” buttons below are not showing up in your email, please pay from our website: http://brewbrosco.
Brew Buddies is a new program we’re trying out. The idea is to pair inexperienced brewers with experienced ones to help spread our wealth of brewing knowledge. We’ll pair up members and then let you guys decide when and how you want to work it out. Hopefully it result in at least a couple valuable brew sessions to help our new brewers turn into experts. If you’re interested being a buddy or finding a buddy, send me an email and give me a brief description of your background. If you have a buddy request, let me know that as well.
Check out our new page for homebrewing deals, http://brewbrosco.com/wordpress/homebrewing-deals/. Thanks to Gary, aka “G2” for giving a great presentation on Beersmith2. If you want to buy your own copy, check out our “Homebrewing Deals” page for a great discount on Beersmith2.
Lastly, Upcoming Competitions
- Peterson! Enter now! http://pafb.brewcompetition.
- AHA Club-only Barleywines are due at our next general meeting.
- Start brewing your extract beers now! AHA club-only “Extract beer” entries will be due late April.
- Start brewing now for Sam Adams Longshot (early May) and NHC (registration 2/26/13, entries due 3/18-3/27/13)
Keep on mashing!
President, Brew Brothers of Pikes Peak
January 20, 2012
Kjell Wygant of Rockyard Brewing invited the homebrew club to a friendly in-club competition as part of Rockyard’s Homebrewer’s Gone Wild Series. Members were to brew up either Old Ales or Wee Heavy Ales, the best beer would be chosen by the Rockyard brewers and then our club would get to rebrew the selected beer on the commercial system at Rockyard. As it happens, our now-ex-president JohnnyBrew made the beer that won. It will be called “Olde BroAle.” Here are some photos of the brew day, more can be found on our Facebook group page. Bottling day will be announced shortly, so check back here, and then the beer will be released with a big party. We’ll keep you posted but here’s the photos: